Friday, December 14, 2007

An Elite Tea Experience

So once again I dropped the ball... it has been too long. But you should know that I had good intentions. Every cup of tea I have had in the last month I have thought of you, and thought to myself "I should really post" but, you know, like sands through the hour glass so are the days of our lives...
To make it up to you, once again I have a personal story. It was a few weeks back and I was with my friend, who’s a descendant of President George Washington, and we decided we were in need for some tea. So I thought quickly, she was from out of town so we couldn't just go to some Starbucks or something stupid like that, it had to be elite. And what popped into my head but Alice's Tea Cup.
Alice's Tea Cup is a place of magic, charm, delight, and of course tea. We went to the one on the west side... 68th and Broadway. There are two other locations in the city if this exact spot doesn't fit your fancy.
So we met up with some others who were also in the need for some tea and walked in to Alice's and said "we would like a table" and they said "two hours"... so that kind of sucked. But it was ok cause we went and got Burritos. Two hours later we were back and this time we got a table. We were taken to our table which was in a wondrous yellow room that was decked out in Alice in Wonderland. Very nice. Although, between you and me (side of mouth voice) I've been to the one on 64th and Lexington and that one is decorated similarly but in my opinion is better (side of mouth voice). But the one we were at was still delightful.
Once seated, we were given menus that were full of delicious tea food, such as, cakes, cookies, scones, and for those looking for something a little more filling, sandwiches. AND, there was also a whole menu purely devoted to tea. SO MUCH TEA. I got the Rooibos Coconut Tea. At this point I should tell you that although I consider myself to be a lover of all teas, I am also a person of habit. I have gotten Rooibos Coconut tea every time I have gone to Alice's. I'm sure I would love every tea Alice's has to offer, but most likely I will not try them, I love this Rooibos too much to venture.
Other teas featured at our table were Lapsang Souchong Superior and Birthday Tea. Both Black Blend teas. I tried them both and can tell you they were both enchanting. I really wanted someone to get Lavender Earl Grey so I could mooch as that sounds b-r-i-l-l-i-a-n-t... but I was refused, so maybe next time.
We also got the Green Tea Chocolate Cake. And let me tell you that it was heavenly. I could try to explain it but words would not do it justice. So, I won't.


So the overall message of this post is if you like tea, and I assume you do, otherwise why are you here, go to Alice's.


Tea of the moment: i guess... Rooibos coconut is appropriate.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Check your link... it doesn't work.

Lulu said...

Thanks Anonymous!

P.S. You are very mysterious...

Anonymous said...

lulu: as i appreciate your enthusiasm towards roobibos coconut tea, i am a little disappointed in your, shall i say, ignorance, or reluctance towards trying another tea. especially since you're so into mooching off of someone else, i'm sure, well cherished cup of lavender earl grey. shame on you for this reluctance. as i can easily and willfully acknowledge your passion for and expertise on tea, i urge you to go back. try something new. i know you have it in you. for your birthday perhaps, or mine...boy wonder...a cup of birthday tea with some fabulous green tea chocolate cake. that for me. you have to try something new.

with love lulu,
boy wonder